Friday, February 21, 2014

Redhead Day: Roodharigendag

Red, auburn, carrot, strawberry blonde and even scarlet are all shades of ginger that are represented at the annual Redhead Days Festival.

1000s of Redhead Gathered in Breda, Netherlands

Roodharigendag is the name of the Dutch summer festival that takes place the first weekend of September in the city of Breda. This two-day festival is a celebration of people with natural red hair

Ginger twins on Redhead Day
The festival started in 2005, and continues to grow in popularity and attendance each year. Most recently in 2013, over 5,000 people with red hair from 80 countries were in attendance at Redhead Day.

This festival currently holds the Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of redheads in one place. Actually the festival continues to beat its own record each year, as the number of attendees increases.





In order to attend Redhead Day guests are required to be a natural ginger. The weekend is filled with events, picnic, motivational speeches, an annual fashion show and community building. Attendees are able to camp and the price to attend is completely free!

Every year the festival chooses a different colour in order to accentuate the flaming locks of visitors. For 2014 the theme is Wonderland, guests are asked to dress in purple and are told to expect the unexpected.

The 2013 Redhead Day gathering, guests were asked to wear blue
Personally I would love to someday attend Redhead day. Not only would it be a great opportunity to travel and see the Netherlands, it would also be something to cross off my bucket list







11 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog...having several gingers or as we call them REDHEADS in my family, on both sides with my mother being one ....it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing this event, makes me want to dye my hair red and pretend that its the natural colour. I mean, do I know you are supposed to be a natural red head, but how will they ever know? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just enjoy reading your blog. One of my best friends from Australia is ginger too. It is very interesting to know more about the gingers. Really unique and eye-catchy. Keep on great work Sloane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog Sloane! My best friend is a natural red head so I feel that I have a soft spot reading your posts. I have never heard of the Roodharigendag festival let alone a festival for red heads! Thank you for sharing insight to this festival and I will be sure to pass this information along to my friend. Once she hears of something like this, I know without doubt she will want to attend this event at some point in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Sloane, this is awesome! I wonder how they stop people from just dying their head red and going. I have to tell my friends about this one, hope you get to go one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique festival I hope one day you get to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a red hair day?! Is there a brunette day? Very cool Sloane, didn't even know about this! Everyone should have a special day, so I'm glad the gingers have one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome. When I was little and lived in Colombia we had a game in which every time we saw a ginger we will pinch the person next to us. We were more than 3000 students in my school and we only had two gingers, they were sisters. I don´t know whose brilliant idea that was, but I am so happy we did not have this parade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was nothing I wanted more then red curly hair as little girl. This sounds like such a cool event, and the pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing this post, I definitely have to pace this along to all my redhead friends.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool blog Sloaner, way to represent the Redheads! It was interesting to learn about this Redhead Festival as I had no idea such an event existed. I will have to let my mother know about it since she has always dyed her hair red believing she was meant to be a redhead, not a brunette. Anyway, I hope you get to this festival someday. I'm rootin' for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea this was even a thing. That's really cool, why don't use brunette guys don't have an event I feel cheated :P
    Hopefully you get to go one day Sloan :)

    ReplyDelete